Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17th

Greetings from Glazov!  
I am on day four of my trip and my second day in Glazov.  So far I have traveled by plane from San Antonio to New York then New York to Moscow.  In Moscow we went to the train station and boarded a train to head to Glazov.  What an experience.  That was my first time in a train and it was definitely an experience.  Dimitry in Moscow told us the wrong time that it arrived.  Of course I figured out the Russian train ticket and questioned him and I was RIGHT!  Instead of arriving at 4:05pm we were there at 8:36am.  Yes...big difference.

Natasha, my interpreter and friend, was there to greet us as the train station.  Her friend has offered one of his flats for us.  It is very nice.  It is nice to have a little apartment that we can cook, relax and most importantly, have internet in!  It is very quiet.  


The sun rises here at 3:30ish in the morning and sets very late.  It is almost 9pm and the sun is just setting over the horizon.  It is starting to be spring here so there are fresh buds on the trees, the tulips are about to bloom, and all of the vegetable gardens are starting to sprout.  Our cultures are very much the same but very different at the same time.  My dad is WAY to polite.  He just wants to help everyone, talk to everyone (of course he talks to them in English like they understand,) and still opens doors for my mom, which is not done here and the cab drivers are always having to wait on him.  


Now to Micah/Sveta.  =)  She looks just the same with a bit more hair.  Her hair has some curl in it but it's a hot mess!  They don't really comb or brush it so she pretty much has bed head 24/7.  Today I brought her little van shoes and she looked so cute!  I can't wait to get her in clothes that fit.  Her trick for the day was pull-ups.  She did pull ups on the table, on the sink, on the crib, on the nurses station....I mean pull-ups...not just hanging!  The nurses were joking and laughing saying that they were going to see her in the Olympics one day.  


There is so much to tell. This will have to do for the first blog!  I hope everyone will enjoy the updates as much as I enjoy giving them.  Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment