Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 25th

Today was Micah's first birthday.  Of course it was just like any other day for little miss thang but we brought a bit of a celebration with us today.  This morning I was maybe 5-10 minutes later than usual and she was all upset with the nurses.  They said that she knows we are coming and she won't do anything until we get there and today she was a bit upset.  She calmed down after we got to playing and such. 

Then we met Natasha for a sort of graduate celebration at the school she used to teach English.  It was very interesting.  Of course I could not understand anything unless she let me know what was happening or if I leaned over and said what are they talking about but it was a mini show and recognition of the "seniors."  But living amongst the townspeople in a flat, shopping with them in the market and getting to know different people in the community has truly given me a better idea of what Russia is made up of and their traditions as well as the traditions of Micah's little town. 

After that fun adventure we went to a store to pick up balloons, bubbles and then some cakes for the nurses. (We got the cookies for the babies yesterday.)  When we got there she was on her walk.  They passed her through the window so I could change her diaper and say hello.  Then we headed back out to catch up with her buddies and blew bubbles outside for a while.  They LOVED the bubbles, especially when my mom would catch them on the little wand and let them pop them.  It was also nice to sit and have cake and tea with the nurses.  They are always so busy.  One of Micah's most favorite nurses is actually retiring after 23 years on June 1st.  She has worked in that same room for 23 years.  I told her Micah/Sveta was extremely lucky to have had a caregiver who gives the children so much love.  She replied, "I love these babies like they are my own grandchildren."  =)  It just warmed my heart that know that for the first year of her life she has been shown and been given love and care by such people as this one nurse. 

But at any rate...as I told my Aunt on the phone...I can get a bit long winded in my blog but I don't have much to do than to watch sports with Russian commentary and blog.  =)  Tonight was my night to cook.  I made Russian "Shake-n-Bake" chicken, with rice boiled in a bag and frozen broccoli.  HA!  And if I do say so myself, it was one of the best meals we have had.  (The Russian frozen pizza wasn't too bad either.)  Tomorrow will be another adventure.  After each dinner my dad says, "Another successful meal." Well, except for when we attempted to make spaghetti.  Russian noodles and tomato sauce = not so great. 

Tomorrow I will take little Micah to get her picture taken for her Russia Passport and American Visa.  That should be an adventure.  It will be the first official trip outside of the orphanage gate with her.  Hopefully she will do okay.  We are pushing close to nap time so she may get fussy.  Everyone keep their fingers crossed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment