Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8th...very early

I have fallen off my blog in the frenzy of traveling.  Currently we are HOME!!  Moscow was fantastic.  Micah really enjoys being out.  They say that most adopted babies don't like it because of the crowds and loud noises and such but she is a social girl.  Even now she has a much better day if we have one small outing a day where there are other people.  The Embassy was an interesting experience.  They had four different families swearing in at the same time so it was really fun to meet some other people and see how they were adjusting with their kiddos.  I became pretty well acquainted with one family from St. Paul, Minnesota that had adopted a 6 and 8 year.  They were the sweetest kids to Micah.

We weren't sure if it was going to happen so I hadn't mentioned it on the  blog, but there was possibility that I would have finished on last Friday and would be able to travel with my Dad back on Saturday.  And it happened!!  I think my Mom really wanted to see more of Moscow and such but I was ready to get home.  So she agreed to go back early.  So I have actually been home since late Saturday night.  It's been nice to lay low and get things adjusted.

Now the question EVERYONE has been asking me.  How was the plane ride?  It was not bad.  She did really well for the first 6 hours.  Of course the flight was delayed almost three hours so Micah was able to get a nap in the airport and now the worry was whether or not we were going to make our connecting flight in Atlanta.  At about 6 hours she was so exhausted and just couldn't get to sleep but finally, with a little bit of help from our local pharmacy, she was out the rest of the plane ride and did very well.  (It was the deepest sleep I had ever seen her in and I turned to me mom and said, "Please tell me I haven't killed my baby."  =)  Made it through immigration and got her green card and we literally ran to the gate where my parents had gone ahead of me.

Where are we now with things?  Well, she eats like a champ, she loves her walks and to swing, she is exploring the house, her toys, the dogs, she LOVES bath time and she loves company to come over or to go over to someone's house.  She is struggling with liquids, she won't drink water or milk at the moment, only watered down juice so we are working on that.  She is having a hard time sleeping in her new environment but as I am typing at 6am she is sleeping soundly so maybe that has started to iron out a bit.  She has two horrible ear infections that have really been bothering her the last couple of days.  I have had to only call my mom a few times to say, "I know this will pass and she is going to be okay but tell me I am doing what I am supposed to be doing."

The adoption agencies and case managers warn you about so many things that you will face and you intellectually know them but to experience them is somewhat different.  For instance, she was playing and I opened a coke can and it scared her to death!  The next time I opened one I truly listened and sure enough.....it's pretty darn loud!  The sun is our biggest challenge right now, well other than naps and bedtime.  She only feels like she needs to where her sunglasses when the wind or sun is bothering her eyes so they are constantly coming off and on. Yesterday we did the baseball hat and so far that has worked the best.

Today Micah will be spending time with Mammother while I do some work.  I haven't had a chance to even touch my pictures but I will start posting more within the next week as things are slowing down a bit.  I am finally getting caught up with e-mails and life a bit.  Thank you to all of those who have called, texted and e-mailed to check in on me!  Now that her sleep schedule might be leveling mine is all messed up!!!  Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment